Friday, August 23, 2013

The Cross in prayer

Silver necklace with a cross pendant

We are too much given to thinking of the Cross as something we have to get through; we get through it only in order to get into it. The Cross stands for one thing only for us - a complete and entire and absolute identification with the Lord Jesus Christ, and there is nothing in which this identification is realized more than in prayer.

These words from My Utmost for His Highest started my devotional on a day after I was given this necklace. And somehow they make wearing it even more special. Every time I catch a glimpse of it or feel it, the words - complete and entire and absolute identification with the Lord Jesus Christ flood my mind. I am not sure if I know, realize the meaning completely, entirely and absolutely, but I know it's not me, but because of Jesus. They made me think of prayer.

Here are other words I read recently:

"Your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
~Matthew 6:8
 
Then why ask? The idea of prayer is not in order to get answers from God; prayer is perfect and complete oneness with God. If we pray because we want answers, we will get huffed with God. The answers come every time, but not always in the way we expect, and our spiritual huff shows a refusal to identify ourselves with our Lord in prayer. We are not here to prove God answers prayer; we are here to be living monuments of God's grace.
 
When prayer seems to be unanswered, beware of trying to fix the blame on someone else. That is always a snare of Satan. You will find there is a reason which is a deep instruction to you, not to anyone else.
 
Prayer is an effort of the will. The great battle in private prayer is the overcoming of mental wool-gathering. We have to discipline our minds and concentrate on willful prayer.
 
Jesus did not say - Dream about thy Father in secret, but pray to thy Father in secret. After we have entered our secret place and have shut the door, the most difficult thing to do is to pray; we cannot get our minds into working order, and the first thing that conflicts is wandering thoughts. A secret silence means to shut the door deliberately on emotions and remember God. When we live in the secret place it becomes impossible for us to doubt God, we become more sure of Him than of anything else.
 
Lord, may I live in the secret place. Jesus, thank You for the Cross. Thank You for showing me how much I am worth.
 
Keep CZECHING IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment