Monday, October 28, 2013

In the image

 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
~Genesis 1:1
 
Here is more of Emily's words and what I am taking away.
 
The first thing we know about God is he made art.
What is the first thing we know about people?
We were made in the image of God.
We have a job to do.
 
"So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
And God blessed them. And God said to them,
“Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it,
and have dominion over the fish of the sea
and over the birds of the heavens
and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”"
~Genesis 1:27,28
 
The first thing we know...how profound, going back to the beginning. But the realization really helped me. 
 
 A book - A million little ways with small plastics animals around it forming a heart
 
Being an image bearer is about reflecting God as human, not about becoming a god myself.
 
I realized that I cannot trade my identity as Adam and Eve because it messes up my work. The enemy challenged their identity. Bearing God's image no longer seemed to be enough. They didn't just want to reflect glory, they wanted to have glory of their own.
 
Christ came to reestablish our identity, showing us what it means to be fully alive as a human--how to live on earth as we were intended to live--a life of complete dependence on the Father.
 
I was reminded that--Not having what it takes is not a liability, it's a prerequisite.
We are made in the image of God and are being remade inside the person of Jesus Christ. He holds all things together even when it looks like they're falling apart. His grace fills in my lack.
 
You were made to make art.
You were also made to live art.
Art means believing that the God who created the world with words alone creates with words still, through us--whether it be on a stage to thousands or in a corner with one.
Art is what happens when you dare to be who you really are.
 
A book -A million little ways with four posted notes around it forming a cross
 
"“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us)."
~Matthew 1:23
 
Like Emily, I don't believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world. I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify. And there will be many ways, even a million little ways, I will declare his glory with my life.

Bearing the image of God, being who He made me, being fully alive instead of feeling like I am "dying on the vine" is what this book is giving me the courage to do. I am learning to be fully alive in the present.
  
Jesus, thank You for living inside me, may I partner with You, may God be glorified through the life You are living on the inside of me and may it be manifested in "a million little ways".

Keep CZECHING IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment