Saturday, May 18, 2013

There is nothing

In Christ, there is nothing I could do to make You love me more; nothing I have done that makes You love me less. ("Gospel Prayer" by J.D. Greear).

God does not change. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He is not a man that He should lie or change his mind.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."
~Hebrews 13:8

"God is not a man, that He should tell or act a lie, 
neither the son of man, that He should feel repentance  
or compunction [for what He has promised]. 
Has He said and shall He not do it? 
Or has He spoken and shall He not make it good?"
~Numbers 23:19 AMP

If there is nothing I can do to make You love me more and nothing I have done that makes You love me less, why do I hear people say, I have to do this and this and this; you have to do this and this and this?

"God shows his love for us in that
while we were still sinners,
Christ died for us."
~Romans 5:8
 
I am reminded of the words I heard Mike Donehey the lead singer of Tenth Avenue North say, God demonstrates (present tense) His love...How?...while we were still sinners, Christ died (past tense) for us.
 
Stop looking what you can do for God and fix your gaze upon what God has done for you. And let that motivate you to love Him back.
 
It's not about what we do for God, but what He did for us.
 
If I am not loving God, if I am not performing at a level that I feel I should, I don't need to try harder, do better, lift myself up by my bootstraps, be all I can be. What I need to do is look back to the cross, because 1 John says we love, because He first loved us. So, if you not loving Him well, you don't need to try harder, you need to believe that He loves you more. Keep gazing on Jesus.
 
We love - Why? Not to gain the love of God but because He has already and does love us.
 
"We love because he first loved us."
~1 John 4:19
 
Lord, You do. If our feelings are different from when we first got saved or when we felt closer to You, it's not because You love us any less. Help us not to try to get good enough for You to get them back. Don't let that mentality put us right back into works and right out of grace.
 
Papa, let the love You have for us, what You did for us, motivate us to love You, to know You, to know Your Word, to be like You.
 
Keep CZECHING IN!  

No comments:

Post a Comment